Moc Chau is a big plateau of Son La province, where is famous for poetic nature, big cow flocks are reared by giant and endless grass steppes.
There are many ways to travel to Moc Chau plateau, however the best way is travel by motorbike. You can freely explore immense grass fields in the foot of mountain, endless hills of tea, yellow fields of kale and Da Quy flower.
Another way, you may get to Moc Chau by bus from Hanoi city then rent a motorbike. However personally, I prefer to travel by motorbike from Hanoi, because on the road, there are many beautiful views. Following is some my travel experiences and tips in Moc Chau.
1. Best time to travel Moc Chau plateau
Moc Chau has 2 main tourist seasons: Autumn-Winter (late Oct to Jan), this time has flowers of kale and Da Quy. Spring, Feb and Mar, has flowers of cherry and damson, damson flower in Moc Chau is pure white, more beautiful a lot than other lands.
2. How to get to Moc Chau Plateau
Hanoi is far about 302km from Son La and 200km from Moc Chau. Popular transportation means to travel to Son La - Moc Chau are local bus, car or motorbike.
2.1. By local bus
Every day there are a lot of buses departing from Hanoi to Moc Chau. You can catch local bus to Moc Chau at My Dinh and Yen Nghia bus station. You can buy ticket directly at the bus stations or book at the local bus companies. Some quality companies you can choose:
* Hưng Thành bus
Departing from My Dinh bus station at 8h15 and the ticket price is 140,000VND (about 7$)
Tel: +84 43 633 7575 or +84 989 764 764 (at My Dinh bus station) or +84 989 264 264 (at Son La)
* Hải Vân bus
Departing from My Dinh bus station at 7h30 and the ticket price is 120,000 ( about 6$)
Tel: +84 43 722 3588 (Hanoi) or +84 122 8262 626 (at Son La)
* Son La bus company
Departing from My Dinh bus station ay 6a.m or at Yen Nghia at 6a.m
Tel: +84 223 852 882
The time to transfer from Hanoi to Moc Chau is 4- 5 hours. At Moc Chau bus station at the centre of Moc Chau town, opposite to the place to organise Moc Chau Love Market, there are 5 turn from Moc Chau back to Hanoi: Moc Chau - My Dinh, Moc Chau - Yen Nghia, Son La - My Dinh, Son La - Yen Nghia and Son La - Giáp Bat.
2.2. By motorbike
From Hanoi, you go along 6-highway, if you like a little of adventure, you should go along Old 6-highway. The road is a little bad and difficult to go but very beautiful view, the road run after Da river, you will see few beautiful waterfalls and Hoa Binh lake of hydroelectricity, a famous place in Vietnam.
Old 6-highway also takes you pass many villages of H’Mong ethnic and very beautiful flower gardens of cherry and damson (in spring).
Travelling Moc Chau by motorbike, you should spend 3 days. First day, on the journey to Moc Chau, visit and overnight in Mai Chau (Mai Chau, a town of Hoa Binh province). Second day, continue going to and explore Moc Chau. Third day, return Hanoi and visit some attractions on the returning.
2.3. Transportation in Moc Chau
In Moc Chau, there are only 2 taxi brands: Lê Trung Taxi (+84 223 66 77 55) and Thảo Nguyên Taxi (+84 976 165 666).
The best way to travel in Moc Chau is renting a motorbike.
2.4. Rent motorbike in Moc Chau
Most of hotels and homestays lease motorbike with average price is $10/motorbike/day, if not, you may contact:
- Mrs. Hoa, Phone: +84127.7009.909
- Mr. Thanh: +84123.918.2448
- Mrs. Nhung: on the road to Ban Ang, phone: +84223.866.690
3. Hotels and Motel in Moc Chau
There are 2 areas in Moc Chau town having many hotels and motels: New Farm Town (thị trấn Nông Trường Mộc Châu Cũ) and Old Farm Town (thị trấn Nông Trường Mộc Châu Mới). Prices from $10 to $15 / room, have fully basic comforts. Some hotels that you may consult:
- Sao Xanh hotel is new hotel so good rooms, however, it’s far from town center. Address: On Nguyen Luong Bang street. Phone: +8422.3789.999 or +8422.3868.979
- Cong Doan hotel, 273 Le Thanh Nghi street – Phieng Luong, in the town center. Tel: +8422.3869.047
- The Anh motel is opposite Cong Doan hotel. Tel: +84223. 869.059 or +84979.869.059 or +84937. 869.059.
Addtion, Rung Thong Ban Ang floor-house (a type of house of Thai ethnic) is very favorite. $3/person, the householder serve foods, they have fully dishes of Thai ethnic, quite tasty. However, there is no warm water to bath. Add: Ban Ang 2 – Dong Sang – Moc Chau. Tel: +84169.9132.380 or +841649.5048.96
* Some homestays:
- Mr. Thanh, $3/person, +84123.918.2448, you can also rent motorbike at here.
- Mrs. Huong, +84912.351.186
4. About eating
There are not many choices, you may eat at popular restaurant in the town. However, best restaurants is outside the town. Restaurants 64 and 70 located on 6-highway, 5km from town center, you may eat at here before entering the town. A restaurant where has tasty dish Be Chao is Quang Bac restaurant, add: on 6-highway – TK 40 (Tiểu Khu 40) , Phone: +8422.3869.004
If you travel with big group (about 6 members), you may eat at:
- Lan Hong 64 restaurant on 6-highway, TK Chieng Di (Tiểu khu Chiềng Đi) – Nong Truong Moc Chau town. With $6, you may enjoy comfortably dishes of Thai ethnic.
- Chicken hot pot in Trung Hieu restaurant on Tran Huy Lieu street. The hot pot is very cheap, just less than $30/table for 6 person. The owner is extreme enthusiastic. If you want, he can organize for you a campfire with dancer girls of Thai ethnic, with $60.